Welcome!

My hope is that there will be some resources here for families with special needs. Instead of reinventing the wheel, I have included resources that point to other resources. The posts here are simply reporting some of the things we have tried to make our daughter's experience more comfortable and productive. Please add any experience you have to help us and others help our children.

Monday, March 10, 2008

Cleaning Tubes

On the Parent-2-Parent forum, there are tons of helpful hints from parents on feeding tube stuff. One of the things we struggle with is keeping the feeding tube connectors clean so that they last. By feeding tube connector I mean the tube you connect to the feeding tube button. They are usually 12 or 24 inches long and are designed for the specific button you have (Mic-Key, Genie, Wizard, Bard Button, etc.) One of the suggestions on the forum was to pour some liquid soap in the connector tube and then use the back of a knife and your thumb to pinch the tube. Then you pull the tube through, running it between the knife and thumb much like the way one would curl ribbons on a present. This works but I always worry I may pull the end of the tube off. I have found that I can simply pour the soap in the tube and let it slowly run its course through the tube. Then I turn the tube over and let it drain the other way and repeat it and rinse it out well. It seems to get out all the gunk. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff! We have a brush that's small enough to go through a straw. Could you use that? (Or would it risk tearing the tube?)
Amy L.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I clean the tubing as follows: I fill a cup halfway with hot water & a bit of soap. I put the button connector end into the water. Close the main port. Open the right-angle port & put a thin nosed 20cc syringe (any syringe with plunger should work) into the right angle port. Pull the soapy hot water up through the tube and quickly pump up & down. This, with some rolling of your fingers on the tube while filled with the hot water, should release the hardened materials. The only concern: if the water is to hot or after this is done one too many times, the button connector end will become loose from the actual tubing & create a leak.
I hope this helps. If it is unclear, please let me know & I will try to explain again.

Anonymous said...

I soak mine in efferdent. it fizzes up into the tube and gets the residue out. It is safe to use since it is made to clean dentures and retainers. it doesn't take long either